Choosing a Cosmetic surgeon
Probably the most important step in this whole cosmetic surgery process is choosing the correct cosmetic surgeon to do the job!
Cosmetic surgery has become a procedure which is very predictable, yet it is still a serious procedure. You need to know all the facts by doing extensive research in order to make an informed decision.
Here are some general guidelines you can follow:
- Check the surgical experience of the surgeon you are considering. Does he/she specialise in the cosmetic procedure(s) in which you are interested?
- Does the surgeon truly specialise in cosmetic surgery or is it only a small part of his practice? Often surgeons who advertise themselves as cosmetic surgeons are often actually specialists in other fields but wish to emphasize or build their cosmetic surgery practice.
- How many cosmetic procedures of this kind has the doctor done, and for how long has he/she done them?
- How many is the doctor currently performing per year?
- Before-and-after photographs can give you some indication of the cosmetic surgeon’s ability, although you must realise that they cannot be construed to guarantee a result that you will achieve. Each patient is different and your surgeon should remind you of this too!
- Make sure you are comfortable with the personal relationship between you and your cosmetic surgeon. In addition, you should feel at ease with the staff. You should always feel that your concerns are being addressed. Do not be satisfied with an incomplete answer from anyone. Even if you think your questions are simple, ask them. They may make a bigger difference than you imagined.
You should check the credentials of your cosmetic surgeon. Make sure they are legit. Doing your homework in this regard is extremely important.
Make sure you speak to your cosmetic surgeon and ask every question you could possibly think of. Make sure everything is answered to your satisfaction. Get your surgeon to explain your surgery in detail. You should know exactly what you are about to put yourself through. And you should be comfortable with everything that is going to happen, and comfortable with your cosmetic surgeon too.